Thursday, January 04, 2007

week 8....

Is it really week 8? Has it really been two months? I guess it's a bit longer since I took some extended breaks for the first three posts, but it's been a little nice to do this on a regular basis. This week's post is all hip-hop. As my band begins a somewhat lengthy hiatus, I find myself making hip-hop music once again, as is such, I'm entrenching myself in the rap music that I'd grown to love over the last 19 years or so. Yes, I really have been a hip-hop fan for that long. My original idea for this week was to do an extensive post of the best posse cuts of all time. I decided to stagger some of the songs for future posts. There actually may be one day when I run out of songs to share with you guys.

1. Tha Alkaholiks,"The Next Level (Remix)"
Diamond D of D.I.T.C. fame produced the original version of this track which appeared on Tha 'Liks 1995 album, "Coast II Coast," but he also took a stab at the remix. Personally, I prefer this version of the song to the original, what with the horn and piano samples and all. This song also has the best Tash lyric of all time: "You got a bad name like Dick Butkus." Classic.

2. Various Artists, "The Points (Easy Mo Bee Mix)"
The particular mix appears on the "Panther" soundtrack. There's also a single that boasts two other remixes by DJ U-Neek (of Bone Thugs fame) and Mista Lawnge of Black Sheep. This version is the best one, production-wise. I would like to have shared the 14 minute extended mix featuring every rapper on the planet, but I didn't have the patience. Maybe someday.

3. Da Brat featuring Notorious BIG, "Da (Dirty) B-Side"
This track is probably more widely known for being on the "Bad Boys" soundtrack, though it was largely ignored since Keith Martin, Jon B and Diana King all had singles from that record. The mix that I give you was the B-side (hence the title) for Brat's second single, "Fa All Y'all," and has swearing on it, unlike the "Bad Boys" mix.

4. O.C., "Time's Up (DJ Eclipse Radio Remix)"
Oh man, THREE O.C. songs in as many weeks? You bet your ass.

5. Frankie Cutlass featuring Sadat X, Redman, June Lover and Doo Wop, "You and You and You"
For some reason in the mid-90s, there was this huge push for New York DJs to put out full-lengths with their rapper friends, which eventually evolved into the surging mixtape scene we have now. Frankie Cutlass is one of those NY DJs who was able to con Relativity Records into giving money to put out an album with a bunch of really awesome rappers on it. The record tanked, but it does have some pretty good songs on it. It's called "Politics and Bullshit," if you ever find it, I recommend picking it up. I found mine at the $.99 rack at Tower Records in New York, of all places.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home