Thursday, December 21, 2006

week 6...

it's about that time for sleigh bells and all of that. i sat around my living room this morning trying to think of what songs i should hit you guys off with this week. i was thinking of putting up some holiday tunes, but that would be way more cliche. even for my taste. plus, i've worked in retail during the holidays and having to hear wham's "last christmas," even if it's jimmy eat world's version, can be pretty grating on the ears. so instead, i'm hitting you off with some uber rare and out-of-print hits from the past.

1. Invisible Skratch Piklz - "Gimme My Goddman Money"/"The Real Hip-Hop Shit"/"Makin' Me Bioootch"
These songs are from Volume 5 of the infamous "Shiggar Fraggar Show," a pirate radio show from the 90's in which DJ crew, Invisibl Skratch Piklz would get stupid drunk and/or high and just scratch for hours on end. There's also some awesome commentary from MC U.B. These days, it's easy for rappers to put out these mixtapes that have the kind of budgets that they usually spend for a studio album. This is what a real mixtape should be -- just a bunch of dudes, holed up in a room doing what they do.

2. Jungle Brothers featuring De La Soul and Q-Tip - "How Ya Want It (We Got It) (Native Tongues Mix)"
What a coup for the JBs. After a period of inactivity, they blasted back on the scene in the late 90's with this Roc Raida-produced jam. The booming bassline and the JB's playful banter with De La Soul made this a certified underground hit. This is a lesser known remix with Q-Tip, thus representing the big three groups of the Native Tongues -- A Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, and Jungle Brothers.

3. The Strokes - "New York City Cops (Live in Vienna)"
This is a pretty good live bootleg of the best Strokes song ever. I'm not huge on this band, but when I first heard this track, I was all about it. Sadly, the track was left off their debut, "Is This It," so as to pay respect to the officers who were busy saving lives during 9/11.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 9:23 AM , Blogger Joel said...

I bought my copy of "Is This It" in England, so I have that song. but then I gave the CD away cuz I was tired of it. I still have it on my computer though. The end.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home